Fish Harbor Fish Harbor was at the western side of Terminal Island. In the neat dredged out cove, smaller tuna clippers and the larger purse seining vessels were able to dock at the pier adjacent to the majority of the local canning operations.
Getting to the Wharf By the late 1940s a telephone chain let employees know when the fishing boats were unloading. In the earlier years, a horn sounded - one blast for every ton. All over the harbor area the horn roused women awake – in San Pedro, in Wilmington, in Long Beach and on Terminal Island.
The Red Car, Pacific Electric Trolley, c. 1930. ~ San Pedro Bay Historical Society
Taking the ferry from Terminal Island to San Pedro, nd, c. 1940. ~ San Pedro Bay Historical Society
Across the Main Channel In the late 1930s, many Japanese-American cannery women lived on Terminal Island in walking distance of the canneries, but the others, and after 1941, the majority of cannery women used the ferry to get across the main channel.